CHARLIE S. SCHMEHL
Mr. Schmehl directs most of URDC’s comprehensive planning, zoning and subdivision regulation projects. Mr. Schmehl's work with URDC since 1985 included preparing comprehensive plans and ordinances for communities throughout eastern and central Pennsylvania, as well as projects in Maryland, Delaware and West Virginia.
Mr. Schmehl was a speaker at the multiple statewide conferences of the Pennsylvania chapter of the American Planning Association. He’s served for many years on a statewide committee of the Pennsylvania chapter that recommended proposed changes to the state's Municipalities Planning Code, and another statewide committee that examined issues and policies related to the natural gas industry in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Schmehl has also provided officially recognized expert testimony in over 30 different zoning cases. This work included successfully defending the Forks Township Zoning Ordinance, which he wrote, from multiple challenges involving over 500 acres of agricultural land. That work culminated in a recent major Commonwealth Court decision that extensively quoted Mr. Schmehl’s testimony. He also provided testimony on multiple matters involving a proposed quarry involving over 400 acres of land in Lower Milford Township.
Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning degree from the University of Virginia, 1983.
Master of City Planning degree from the University of Pennsylvania, 1985.
Mr. Schmehl was the primary author of Comprehensive Plans for the following municipalities:
- City of Bethlehem - City of Williamsport - Bonneauville Bor. & Mt. Pleasant Twp. - City of Scranton - City of Reading (pending) - Lower Paxton Twp. - Southwestern Lehigh County (6 municipalities west of Allentown)
- Governor Mifflin Region (5 municipalities southwest of Reading) - Suburban Berks West Region
(5 municipalities west of Reading)
Mr. Schmehl was the primary author of the bulk of the Zoning Ordinances for the following municipalities:
- City of Bethlehem - City of Reading - Emmaus
- City of Lebanon (pending) - City of Allentown
- City of Lancaster - Mertztown - City of Scranton
- Schuylkill County (32 municipalities) - N. Codorus Twp. - Lower Paxton Twp. - Swatara Twp. - Forks Twp. - Ross Twp. - Bridgeport